HTML Bits Sticky Post

This post is also the first post - did you see, I made it a sticky post by putting the text into a text module!

HTML Bits is about the little bits of code you might forget.

I'm only a novice with HTML - I know that we have moved on, (well, at least every one else has), to using XHTML and style sheets, as well as JAVA. Well, I don't know much about all the tech stuff, I'll admit, but the point here is not to try and teach you HTML, but just to keep my notes of the HTML that I do need.

In true form, I find that the same stuff I need to remember, is the same stuff my friends always ask me about.

Things like; How do you structure a simple URL link code in a web page or blog, so that it displays in the mouse hover over pop-up when you hover over some text?

How do you make a URL link open the link in a new tab, when visitors left click on your hyper-text link?

How do you make a link no-follow, and why)?

I know these and other questions may be basic to those geeks that can speak techno, but for geeks like me, even when I find out how to do something, I can never remember how to do it again if I don't use it all of the time. Also, even if I write it down, I cannot locate the info when I need it.

I needed to show a friend No-Follow today, (I do know how to do it), its just that I was not sure on the exact position and layout of the code. I don't want to mess-up someones blog or website, so I had to say I'll tell them later.

To this end, I've started this blog, mainly for myself so that I have a place to keep all my bits of code.

However, now you can benefit too, if your are unsure of the code. Be careful, I might make the odd mistake or two, so I want to say now, If anything goes wrong with the information I show you anywhere on this blog, I don't want to be held responsible.

Use this info at your own risk! But, if it is here, it worked for me, simple as that!

Happy and safe coding!

AndyGold

TAGS: HTML, HTML Code,

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How to make a Sticky Post in Blogger

A Sticky Post, is a post that stays at the top of your blog!

There are a few ways to make a Sticky Post, here's two ways I know about!



The Text Box Method.
The first way, really isn't a post at all, but you start it out as a post. You can then leave the original as a copy post, or delete it.

After you write the post, edit the text to add your headings (H1 or H2, bold or whatever you like), then publish it or view a preview of it, to see if it looks right.  Next, in Blogger, add a text module, (or gadget or whatever you want to call it), then copy in the post you just created and edited.

This also works with HTML/JAVA modules too, just choose what's right and best for the job.  The Text module - gadget will also take HTML!

Then you need to drag the module or gadget into the position, just above your blog posts. It will go, it might just be a bit tricky to get the location to snap to the dragged text module.  see pic below 'HTML Bits Sticky Post' gadget. Then click save in the design layout. (Top right).
How to make a Sticky Post.  http://html-bits.blogspot.com/
A word about Gadgets!
This gadgets dragging and positioning is not unique to Blogger.  Blogger calls them Gadgets, other blogging and website building platforms, (also called content management systems or CMS for short), use similar boxes that you drag to position them.

You can call them Gadgets or Modules (Like Squidoo do in their lenses), or even Widgets!  They are all basically the same thing as far as I am aware.  (Blogging since 1995). 

The Post Options Scheduled Time Method.
The other way to create a Sticky Post is to just write the post and to alter the post publish time in the Post-Options menu (bottom left), to the most current time to make it appear at the top of your blog.  Many people claim that this is a true sticky post because it is actually, primarily a post.



The trouble is, that you will have to remember to always alter the post time to keep it at the top whenever you make new posts.  Its a lot of messing about and you could forget to do it!  It is safer, especially if it is important that the post is to be truly sticky and always at the top of the blog, to use the text box method.


AndyGold.

© AndyGold 2011
Share/Bookmark




Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to keep to clear, clean and concise comments only.
Thank you for your comment, it is very welcome.